Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ah, the movies

I am currently watching movie #74. One I've had on my shelf and for some reason never watched. So far, I'm wondering why I even bought it. Well, actually, I know. It's got baseball in it! #75 will be Schindler's List later. And then I'm done. Not that I'll never watch another movie, but the summer project, and summer, is over.

Of these 75 movies, few stand out. I don't have a favorite or one I'd watch over and over. Several were pretty good: Act of Valor, This Means War, 50/50, Killers. All for different reasons, from various genres. They're the ones I can actually remember most of, and would recommend.

In this quest, I spent less than $20 if you don't count the popcorn for #73. $8 for one month of Netflix (one month was free). $1.20 for one Redbox rental (it was early in the summer and I didn't have a system down). $1.25 for late fees on 2 movies at the library. $7 for the one movie in the theater. $17.25 total! I used the public library (yay for their reservation system on line!), a free month of unlimited in-store rentals at Blockbuster, and borrowed one from a friend.

I started the summer planning on a movie every weekday. Then was enjoying it and it became everyday. I did take some days off, but would watch 2 the day before or after. A couple days I watched 2 just because, or because they were due at the library :) I ended up skipping the entire week my dad was here - we had other things to be doing!! The olympics through a kink in but I started watching the movie on my computer with the TV on mute and I'd pause for any exciting competition. It worked. After my dad left I wasn't sure I wanted to seriously "catch up" so I decided to get to 75. It is just about one movie a day for the entire summer. Sad that summer is only 75 days long!!

I must thank my friend Leslie for watching several with me, and also her hubby Quinn, and our friend Becky for also joining me on occasion.

Before I started this project, I didn't particularly like watching movies. I could watch an entire season of CSI or something without hardly moving, but a movie tested my attention span. I'll say I wasn't always 100% into every movie I watched this summer, but I am definitely a "movie watcher" now!! Free, on DVD :)

All in all, it was a fun little project. I would definitely do it again!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun summary of your summer of movies! I want to see your spreadsheet sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime!! I'll add to it too. Why not? I've always wanted to keep track of the books I read too so I might start another one.

    ReplyDelete