Tuesday, July 28, 2015

40 4 40 #40 - FINALLY!!

As you might recall, over a year ago, I began a journey to try forty new things before my 40th birthday. The culmination was to be skydiving ON my 40th birthday. I had this wild idea on my 30th birthday, while parasailing. To make a long story short, I did not get to jump on my actual 40th birthday. But, Dad had the idea that I could do it in CA - at a location that he picked out :)

So I got to CA and we talked about it and I looked into it and just never seemed to actually schedule it. I started to run out of time! Since last week was so busy (I really should blog about it!), and this is my last week, this was the time! I made an appointment at Skydive Perris which has an excellent reputation, and is the place where Dad's former student jumps all the time.

Just like when it was planned in Texas, I was not worried about the risks and all that. However, this place made me watch a video and sign waivers that sure could make you worry about all the risks!! But when we got there, Dad and I decided this place knew what they were doing! There were parachuters everywhere - landing, packing chutes, wandering around, etc. Everyone was very nice and encouraging.

The whole process was quite easy, since I'd already watched the video and signed the mega waiver on line. Dad and I waited and watched lots of people land, until it was my turn to get suited up. Each plane took about 20 jumpers - most of them just jumping for fun - students and such. We saw probably half a dozen planes go up while we waited - for only an hour or so!! I got called and we went to the garage to meet Emmanuel and put my suit on. Dad got to be there for all of it which was really cool. Here are some before pics.

My favorite support crew :)

Suited Up
Harnessing

There was one other tandem person on my flight. His name is Chris and he was celebrating having finished his USC MBA! He was a little nervous but he did just fine :) The rest of the pics will tell the rest of the story...

Saying "see you in a few" to Dad.

Waving Hello to Josh, the videographer.

Emmanuel and I ready to board the plane! First on, last off.
On the plane, ready to GO!
The screaming was involuntary!! It was an excited, holy heck, kind of scream!
Free falling - REALLY fast!!
The chute opened!! YAY!!

I'd be attached to the yellow dot! Dad took this from the ground.
Coming in to the landing zone.
Almost down!
We made it!!

Wow!! Actually the quote of the day was "OH. MY. GOODNESS"!!

#40 done!! This is my favorite on the ground shot!

I jumped out of an airplane today! Not many people can say that! I enjoyed the experience and I'm glad I finally did it. I don't need to do it again though. I was never scared. It was definitely a rush of excitement when the wind slapped you in the face at 120 mph! And getting to see the world from that perspective was way awesome. I asked my videographer to take more video of what I was seeing than of my face. I'm really glad he listened. The video is pretty darn cool. There's me, but there's also the scenery which I'm glad I get to relive. You can too! Anytime you want to watch it, I'd be happy to share :) Oh, actually, it's supposed to go on Youtube... I'll keep you posted on that. 

The moral of this year long journey is this: KEEP TRYING NEW THINGS! You never know what you'll get out of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment