Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Just Don't GET It!

I am sitting in a classroom where students are taking an algebra exam. They are allowed to use their notes. This seems to be the norm for all math classes on this campus (at least algebra and geometry). WHY?!

1. how do we know that they've mastered anything besides being able to interpret notes to new problems, which by the way are EXACTLY the same as the problems on the notes, except for a few changed #'s.

2. they are not allowed any notes when taking the TAKS (state test). we are giving them a crutch and then asking them to walk freely on a standardized test! that's not fair to them! no wonder their scores aren't what we'd hope!

my hope is that when i am teaching math, i can either make my own decisions regarding this issue or it's not the norm on the campus I'm at. argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment