Sunday, November 27, 2011

It Begins

Today is the first Sunday in Advent. A time of preparation for the coming of the Christ child in 4 weeks. I know that I should go to church, but I just don't want to! I have instead started a new Advent reading. The Journey by Adam Hamilton. It's actually short reflections - one for each day in Advent. There's apparently a whole book. Maybe I'll do that next year. Anyway, I just read the first one, and I have reflections of my own so thought I'd share. Can't guarantee I'll have reflections every day but when I do, I'll try to share. I miss writing.

We started this Journey with the genealogy in the book of Matthew. Adam pointed out that 5 women are mentioned which was kinda odd way back then. (Though, really, what's a genealogy without women - can't really do it without us, can they?!) These five women were prostitutes, peasants, basic nobodies...

Thought #1: I'm basically a nobody, in the big picture book of life. Yes, I know I'm important, etc. but really, I'm not famous, rich, "known". If Ruth and Tamar can be a part of the genealogy of JESUS, why can't I be SOMEbody too?!?! Not famous somebody, but somebody who makes a difference in the world, and such. Reaffirmed my call to teaching. Which leads me to thought #2.

Thought #2: I "lead" a group of "nobodies" everyday in the classroom. I try very hard to enrich their minds, make them valuable citizens of the world, encourage them to do better. I must continue!!! Again, reaffirms my belief that sitting in my classroom is the next (okay, in 20 years) President, the curer of cancer, the inventor of the time machine. It reminds me that EVERYbody is a SOMEbody, and it's partly my job to make sure THEY see that. Even the ones who sleep through class, throw paper airplanes, and have NO respect for me, others, or themselves.

So, with this encouragement in my heart and soul, I WILL go back to work tomorrow. And CHANGE LIVES!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment