Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Class of 2014

Four school years ago, two girls came to my classroom. I did not have these girls in class and they did not know me at all. However, they needed a Class Sponsor and someone had said to ask the new teacher. They came in sweet and shy. I don't remember if I spent any time thinking about it, but really, how do you say no to kids?! Besides, I knew this was the kind of thing I'd enjoy, and it meant someone wanted me to stick around for at least three more years!! Seriously, that went through my mind!! I was a brand new teacher after all!!

Over four years, one of those two girls and four others were my steady, consistent, and wonderful Class Officers. They made my job easy! We designed and sold t-shirts, played Powder Puff Football, then organized Powder Puff Football, sold Candy Canes and carnations, always with PROM in our minds. Prom is the end-all, be-all of the Class Officers' tasks. It is what all that fundraising goes to! We were kind of lucky because Prom 2013 had major issues for myriad reasons so we were bound to do better! And we did! Prom ROCKED! Interesting that I didn't blog about it. It was great, but it exhausted me!!

Now, we are on the eve of the Graduation of the Class of 2014. They are my babies! They were Freshmen my first year teaching high school. I had about 140 of them in Algebra 1. Their Sophomore year, I moved up to Geometry and had many of them again plus several more of them. The next year , as Juniors, I taught still more of them in a review course for the State test. I am proud to report that they have now all passed that test (the ones I've had anyway, and are still in school)! Two of these seniors, I had THREE years (which actually doesn't say much for my teaching ability). One, Afton, I taught two years, visited with almost every day last year and this year she is my teacher's aid. I have never known Azle High School without these Seniors!!

Today, on their last real day of school (tomorrow they just go to practice), they had the chance to do a "senior walk". The Principal comes over the PA and after giving them instructions for tomorrow, tells them that the school is theirs, enjoy. For about 20 minutes, they get to roam the halls, visit teachers and each other, and basically say goodbye. So many came to see me to get hugs, say goodbye, and say thank you. Many of them told me I was their favorite or best math teacher. This is always an emotional and poignant event. Today, I cried. And laughed. And cried.

I knew the senior walk was coming today so I decorated our hallway with ribbons and graduation decor. They loved it! What an easy and cheap way to show my love!! We are already planning to do it every year :) But for me, it was truly the ones who came to see me who I haven't seen around, barely remember, etc. who wanted to make sure they hugged me - those are special moments! I'm crying now, remembering!!

And so tomorrow night, they turn their tassels and celebrate the end of the beginning. Or the beginning of the end... I can't wait to see what they do next. There will definitely be successes out of this class. And I am SO proud to be able to say that I was their Class Sponsor! They will forever be the most special class of my career. I have never once regretted saying YES!!

1 comment: