Friday, April 15, 2016

Dinosaur Valley Backpacking Excursion

First, I must apologize to my faithful (2) readers! It's been SEVEN months since I've written anything! I think about it sometimes, it just doesn't happen. SORRY!!!

Slugger bought me a new backpack for Christmas. For our three year adoptiversary, I bought him a backpack. We intended to backpack two nights during Spring Break but mother nature decided that'd be a bad idea. We stayed home and did yard work instead. But we were anxious to try out our new packs overnight!

Prom sales went faster than usual so I ended up with the capability of taking a day off in April. Slugger and I took advantage of the good luck and escaped to the woods! Our destination was a "primitive" hike-in campsite at Dinosaur Valley State Park. I made a reservation for just one night, Thursday, because the weekend was full. Of course, I worked on Thursday, so it was kind of a hectic couple hours to get home, get the pooch, and drive the hour plus to the Park. I had the packs all ready to go so I changed my clothes in a jiffy, loaded the car and took off. We got to the Park at about 5:30. We had a good two hours of daylight to hike the mile and a half to our site and pitch the tent.

I had been to Dinosaur Valley before, once, on Thanksgiving 2011 (I think). Back when Texas was in a severe drought. I do not at all remember crossing a river about half a mile in. Or that the crossing was THROUGH the river, not over it on a bridge. I don't know what I thought when I looked at the map - I guess I was thinking bridge. Yeah, there was no bridge. And we're no longer in a drought. In fact, it rained just this week!
I stood here, halfway across, for a good five minutes trying to decide what to do.
The water was flowing pretty good the rest of the way even though it wasn't deep.


I made it halfway... between the weight of the pack, the pull of the pooch, and the fact that I'm a klutz on dry, flat ground, I decided to turn around. I pictured myself soaking wet, injured, and miserable!

On the walk back to the car, I had the brilliant idea to camp in the campground! I mean, we were prepared!! I didn't technically go through the process of telling the ranger types I was doing this though. They were closed before I even got there. And I wasn't about to pay them for the campsite if I didn't have to. I'd already paid for the primitive spot! I picked a site as far from people, and with tent space "in the woods" so Slugger and I would still get a fairly "primitive" experience. I had the tent pitched and the dog fed by about 7:15. 

Checking out our spot.
Woodsy-ish

Protecting our little home away from home.

"Your sleeping bag is soft, Mama"

I read my book (which I'd left in the car cuz it's big and heavy so yay perk of car camping!) and Slugger watched for critters and people and bears and such. Funny story... Dad is a big fan of head lamps. I am not. I don't like hiking with one (the very very few times - once - I've tried) cuz I get weirded out by shadows so close. That sounds stupid. It's hard to describe but it has to do with my extreme fear of the dark! Anyway, while checking out the camping aisle at Walmart, I saw this for $9.95.


I figured why not?! Ten bucks, a flashlight and Dad's know best. Turns out that headlamp came in very handy! It was my night light to read by, my friend walking into the woods in the dark (cuz you know, necessities), and well Dad, you were right! I still don't want to hike at night though!! 

I didn't sleep very well, but I don't think it was the tent situation. I was actually really quite comfy on my new camp pad. I'd had caffeine on the drive; I was a little worried about the fact that technically we were in the spot illegally; the dog slept okay, but on top of me; etc. We finally got up at about 8:30. Just as the ranger stopped by and gave me a stern "You need to go to the office!". I packed up and we were there 30 minutes later. The very nice lady at the desk did not charge me for the "extra" campsite. She seemed to sympathize on the river issue. I paid the daily fee (which I don't think should be extra on top of the campsite but I don't make the rules) and we were off. To hike!! 

Now, remember, this whole excursion was to escape into the woods, but also to check out the packs and stuff. I did not use the campsite water for anything because I wanted to see if I had enough in my pack - I had plenty. So for our morning hike, we went to the SOUTH trail, where we didn't have to cross a river, and I wore my pack. I didn't make Slugger wear his. He puts up with it, but I don't think he actually likes it. 

Anyway, we went about 2.5 miles. It was a loop. I had hoped for 4 or so but that's okay. My shoulders were ready to dump the pack! On the loop are a couple primitive campsites that we checked out for the future. They're right on the trail, but still better than being where there are cars and kids and such! We saw lots of Indian Paintbrush and a few Bluebonnets. Texas is known for its Bluebonnets but what outsiders might not realize is that the red Paintbrushes are almost as prevalent and often they're together in fields. They're a little different red and shape from what I'm used to in CA. 


After our hike, I went in the gift shop and bought myself a new visor - on sale for $5!! - and a magnet. Then we went down to the main Dinosaur Track site. The Park is known for its dinosaur tracks. They're in the river so I've never actually seen them. Or maybe I don't know what I'm looking at. Anyway, Slugger played in the river a little. I think the water was too cold for him cuz he wasn't his usual self in the water. 
The tracks are supposedly on the other side of those rocks.

The other "better" (according to the ranger) place to cross the river. 

 

And then we went home. So I could mow the lawn. I had 10,000 steps by 12:30 :) Now we're recuperating!! 

We look forward to going back and trying the actual primitive sites. Perhaps in the fall. And I'll take my hiking poles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment