Sunday, August 20, 2017

Slugger Turns 8!!!

Life's been a little odd the last few months with the moving and such. I wanted to make sure today was special and memorable (do dogs really remember?). And I thought it'd be nice to take advantage of our new location.

We woke up at a decent hour and had breakfast. Well, he didn't eat. He was too excited!! Ha. I tried to explain, but I don't know that he really understood. I mean, telling him we were going to Wrightwood meant nothing to him - he'd never been there! Oh, but I had!! 

Once I put on my hiking boots, THEN he REALLY got excited!! We set off. I didn't turn when I was supposed to, but we got there. Wrightwood is as beautiful and small and quaint as I remember. I am pretty sure it's been 25 years since I've been there! LOTS and LOTS of memories came flooding back as I drove up Elm to see the camp I counseled and camped at many times as a teen.


But this trip was about Slugger, not me!! We hurried on to hike. We didn't end up where we'd intended because I didn't want to walk UP a road just to get to trail! So we went out of Wrightwood a few miles to Inspiration Point (an aid station on the AC100!!). We ended up on the PCT.



It was SO beautiful and quiet and absolutely perfect. We both needed to be out there, ya know?! We turned around just before we got to one mile and ended up taking the road back near the end so our total was 1.6 miles. Not bad since we'd walked 2+ in the neighborhood yesterday. His knee seems to be doing okay. My toe on the other hand is definitely not right. That'll be a story for September though!

view of the desert

This picture does not do this view justice at all. it was STUNNING! Every time I looked that direction, all I could think was "God, thank You". Definition of "awe-inspiring". It's looking down toward LA. I swear if it were a clear day you could see the ocean but I think that'd be way too far.

would've been better without the power pole. not sure where the power was headed. 

we thought about turning around here but went a little further

this tree reminds me of something - Dad, get it?!

looking toward the desert and our new home
We stopped at the ranger station but it was closed. We want to explore all the trails!!!

When we got home, Slugger got his birthday gifts...

A crunchy, squeaky Raccoon...

A "beef strap" which he carried around, hid a couple times, and then ate.

Now we're both recuperating from all the excitement. I think he's enjoying his day! Too bad every day can't be our birthday!!!


NOTE: If you're paying attention, yes, Slugger just skipped a year. Last year, we celebrated his 6th birthday. When he had his knee surgery in November, the surgeon suggested he was a bit older than that. So, we skipped 7 and are going straight to 8! It's all made up anyway :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment