Sunday, March 28, 2010

Going Vegan

I get a lot of nutty ideas. Some last, others do not.

For several weeks now (maybe longer) I've been toying with the idea of giving up meat. For calorie and economic reasons, this seemed like a good idea. And not that tough since I don't eat a steak every night or anything.

In my research and through self-learning (totally blanking on the right word - i looked at my life and health and stuff), I've actually decided to try Vegan! This is no meat or dairy (eggs, milk, butter!). The dairy will be tougher on my but I'm going to try it for a month and see what happens.

The good news is that I am SUPER excited!! I've been reading cookbooks and looking at websites and I wish there were more meals in a week!! Tonight I started with one of my favorite restaurant meals that I have only tried at home once - Black Bean Tostadas/Chalupas (Chalupa seems to be a Texas word - only place I've ever heard it!) with Avocado. Mine was simply a corn tortilla fried stiff-ish, refried black beans, and avocado (one of my favorite foods ever). I made some brown rice and threw in a bit of enchilada sauce that I had in the pantry for a recipe that I never made many months ago.

YUMMY!!! So far, I am LOVING my new foodstyle :) OF course, I'm still finishing some things in my cupboard... like the Dr. Pepper!! Cuz did I mention I'm also going to attempt to cut out sugar (the obvious kind - stuff cooked with it isn't on my list yet)??

And I owe it all to Alicia Silverstone and The Kind Diet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment