Thursday, November 27, 2014

40 4 40 #14 5k

This is the next in a series of posts about my attempt to try 40 new things before I turn 40 in March. You can read all of them using the label 40 4 40.

This is just the first post of today. There will be at least one more. I might also post later about all the things I'm thankful for. We'll see! Right now, I am grateful that I figured out a way to look forward to turning 40 instead of wishing it wasn't happening like I have heard from too many others. I WILL be Forty and Fabulous :)

I woke up dark and early on Thanksgiving Day, not to put a turkey in the oven, but to walk my first 5k! This has been on my to-do list for a very long time. It just was never the right time, I was injured and/or out of shape, etc. I have a friend who walks them all the time so I hoped to join her on one. But I was anxious to get it done, so I chose Thanksgiving when she wasn't able to join me. BUT, I will definitely do more of them so the next one can be with her :)

There are a LOT of 5k runs on Thanksgiving. DFW alone had like 20 Turkey Trot options. I chose the Grub Run for many reasons. First, it was cheap to enter ($5!) so if I changed my mind it wasn't a big deal. Second, it was at Texas Motor Speedway - ON the track!! Third, it was for a good cause. Fourth, it seemed pretty low key and said right in the description that walking was okay. I signed up for one last March that only gave you an hour to finish which was way too much pressure cuz I DON'T RUN!!

In addition to the $5 we were to take canned goods. The whole thing benefited the Tarrant Area Food Bank. Awesome cause, and canned goods are easy. Their goal was 15,000 pounds!! I saw a lot of cans, so hopefully!!

I got there about 45 minutes before start time to get my shirt (an additional $10) and bib number. I then headed out toward the startline to take pictures of the speedway. See below. There were lots of people, though I'm sure fewer than at other bigger events. Many people were dressed in holiday hats and such. There was a plethora of tutus. If you didn't know, they're the new "in" thing for dressing up silly. There was even a full turkey. I saw a couple chef's hats but didn't "get" it until I walked out and saw the chef holding a big knife in one hand, and the hand of a (lady dressed as a) turkey in the other. Hehe.




I ended up not wearing the shirt. It wasn't comfortable over my hoodie.







The actual start line for the cars!!


Me at the start. 

They started us with the checkered flag!! Kinda cool!

It says 49.09 or so. I actually crossed the line and then went back to take this. But I figure that's about right since I took time to take the checkered flag pic after the clock started.

I didn't feel like waiting for my own picture with him. I was done and wanted to go home!

In his left hand is a very large (fake) knife. Hehe.
I definitely want to do more 5k walks! Although there were dogs there, I know Slugger would not be able to join me. There were too many kids, and people in general. And other dogs. I don't think he'd actually enjoy it, cuz I'd have to be way too controlling of him. So he can just help me train :) And recover - he's currently sitting next to me helping me warm up!

Now, to start the rolls, take a shower, and move on to #15!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment