Saturday, October 8, 2016

I finally get it!

For years, I've sat, in the middle of the night, wearing five layers, wrapped in a sleeping bag, shivering, wondering how on earth runners come in wearing practically nothing and not dying of hypothermia! Seriously, men in just shorts, women in tanks and shorts, looking fresh as morning dew and not at all cold! I get it. I totally get it. 

Today is a PERFECT gorgeous 70 degree day in Texas. It's 73 now, 3.5 hours after I got home from a 6.4 mile run. So it was probably between 65-70 while I was out. I sweated like a pig!! I was hot. Part of that is because I got to enjoy Texas blue clear skies that songs are written about. It meant the sun was beating down on me, even with the nice cool breeze. 

Anyway, I can totally see why after running miles and miles and miles, one would still be hot even when it's much cooler outside! I no longer think they're crazy!!!

Other interesting things occurred this morning on my run... 

I've been trying to do more interval like training on my shorter midweek runs, 3 minute run and 1 minute walk. And an actual run, not a loping jog :) But on my longer weekend runs I run when I want and walk when I feel the need, though I do keep track. For example, last week's first 6+ mile run, I did lots of 2:1 in the last couple miles. Today, I tried to push myself to run longer the whole way. I also ended up walking longer in between. Runs were 3-5 minutes, walks 1-2. I really felt stronger though! I knocked a few minutes off my 10k time too! 

I learned it's hard to read a map on the phone while moving. I knew where I wanted to go but hadn't really committed roads and turns to memory. Took a couple wrong turns but got it sorted out! And I met this guy:


I was so excited that it was totally worth the struggle to get my phone (camera) out of its pocket and stop for pics!!! 

It's so beautiful outside that Slugger and I sat outside while I iced. We then went back outside after I ate lunch. In fact I'm only inside so I can write this!! 

One last note... I came home from CA almost back where I was, weight-wise, when I started losing as a new thing. I've started running more and further. I've stopped eating quite so much junk. I haven't lost hardly any pounds, but I feel fitter and my clothes fit better which is really what matters most! In fact, last night, I wore the belt and buckle that my dad gave me this summer. I could get it cinched then but it was way uncomfortable so I didn't actually wear it anywhere even though I was so proud to have it! Now I can wear it!!!


This was the end of the evening and I'd given up on my hair! The buckle is from the Old Pueblo 50 miler that he ran on my 12th birthday. We both have vivid memories but not the same ones!!

That's all. Have a nice day! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment