Thursday, January 18, 2018

Attempted Yoga

In Texas I visited a yoga studio right down the street from the house as often as I could. The last several times I went, I went to a "restorative" yoga class. It was awesome but more about stretching and relaxing than balancing and such and what most people think of with yoga.

There aren't a lot of options for yoga here in the High Desert. There is a studio several miles from our house. Cost plus distance just doesn't seem worth it. BUT there's a gym not too far away that has yoga (and other) classes as part of membership. And it's cheap - for a gym. $20/month. So I decided to do a free-trial and try a class.

I came home and walked Slugs a little (got the mail) and watched Ellen. I wasn't sure how long signing up for the free trial would take, nor how crowded the class would be so I left earlier than I needed to - 4:30. I fed Slugger right before I left.

The class was great. I liked the instructor very much. Unfortunately, I didn't like the gym atmosphere. Even though we had soothing music on, we could still hear their obnoxiously loud music. And I jumped every time someone dropped a barbell/weight.

I did find it interesting that I was MUCH better at balance poses than I had been previously. I'm blaming the running! I could actually almost feel like I was doing tree pose instead of floundering like I used to. So YAY!

When I got home, Slugger had eaten an entire bag of potato chips. Guess he doesn't like me being gone in the evening either.

I have the exercise room all set up now so I'm going to try yoga at home for a few weeks. If that isn't working for me, I'll try the yoga studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment