Thursday, August 7, 2014

AC100 2014

If you haven't already, or even if you have, you might want to read this post from last year before reading today's. And maybe even this one. In today's post, I don't explain anything about the event! 

If I only had one word to describe this year's AC100 weekend, that word would be WET!! Luckily, I get to use lots land lots of words :)

Dad and I got to the campground at about 4 or 4:30. Bob was out doing his check of the trail between Sam Merrill, the aid station before us, and our spot. We got all set up before dark. Just as it was getting dark and burgers were mostly cooked, it started to rain. Dad had thought ahead of the forecast that didn't call for rain, and brought the EZ Up in case it rained. The weather reporters had been wrong all month long. Smart Dad!! It rained off and on until mid day on Sunday. It was hot and humid the rest of the time. Mostly it was a nice light rain, but there were a couple harder moments too. It was good for the runners, and interesting for us!

I had been following the Twitter feed all day so I knew more or less who was in the lead, but it seemed like they were going pretty fast so we were glad to get the computer running to get reliable info. The pace seemed faster in the morning, and we were ready for a runner, but it was after 11 before we saw the first one. Ruperto Romero came running in, stopped for some water, and went running out. He finished before we saw #2. Ruperto's finish time was 19 hours and 27  minutes. Besides being a nice guy, and obviously fit and fast, THE GUY IS 50 YEARS OLD!!!! I later did some math and the top 15 runners, who all did this thing in 24 hours or less, had an average age of 37. Although there are many younguns in ultrarunning, for the most part, it's a "middle age" kinda sport:)

Five runners later, we saw the first female. Pam had been leading all day. Yes, she was 6th overall. And I am pretty sure she broke last year's record. Oh, also, SHE IS 39 YEARS OLD!!!!! No, I still have no desire to run, especially 100 miles. Maybe 100 feet if it's important. But it inspires me that someone MY AGE can do this. It encourages me to get off the couch :)

So, last year, AC was the catalyst that talked me into going forward in the quest for a ham radio license. This year, it was such a different experience getting to actually talk and push buttons!! So much so that Dad actually went and took a nap once we saw a few runners. This was the first time he's slept, in a tent, at one of these events!! I felt so special that he trusted me enough to leave me all alone. Not much happened while he slept. Maybe 10 runners? I don't think there was any action on the radio, even between other stations!! But, I would've been able to handle it. I know, cuz I did much of the morning, as more runners finished and stations packed up and such. There was one little snafu at another station that I was able to help clarify. That was nice. Also, as we were packing up and waiting for the last runner to finish, I was on the radio keeping track of things. I got to be the one to "sign off" from Millard. That was a very special moment for me. Not sure why I feel that way!!

The other excitement throughout the middle of the night, was the anticipation of the bear. Yes, bear. As in, big brown furry bear! There had been many sightings, including tent destruction (the tents were still at the campground!), over the last month or two. So we were all on alert. But, alas, and thank God, we never saw the bear.

I never did sleep. I just can't. What if I missed something?! Besides, I'd either not really sleep and just toss and turn, or I'd sleep for 10 hours!! I'm not a good napper. I pretend on Sunday afternoon sometimes. But then I'm groggy the rest of the day. Can't have that at AC so I just stay up. And then I sleep VERY well on Sunday night!!

Sometime in the morning (8 or 9 maybe), the EZ Up dumped its contents (rain) down my back. I shrieked. But I protected the equipment!! I decided that meant it was time to change clothes again! Luckily, I had brought lots. My memory from last year was freezing through the night so I brought a lot of layering type stuff.

The aid station crew this year was a little different. We had Bob and Jeff who are there every year and are basically in charge. This year we had Lexie and her dad Steve, and Irene and her 7 year old daughter Coco all night. Lexie is an aspiring ultra runner. Funny thing, she goes to Baylor and knows the sister of my co-worker/friend! Irene came because she wants to start running and figured watching someone run 100 miles would be good inspiration. Once the sun came up, we had Dave and Danny who ran up from the finish. And Jeff showed up shortly thereafter; he is an injured ultra runner who wanted to be a part of the race. Oh, and Perry and the other guy (maybe next year I'll find out his name!!) came and brought some supplies. It was really quite a full house once we got a runner or two, plus their pacers!!

We saw a total of 93 runners. That's 19 more than last year! But there were also more starters this year. I don't have nearly as many stories as last year. One that I will share in another post. We had several "slow" runners coming to us, and then going to the finish. These were walkers. Lots of complaints of leg cramping, especially once the sun came up again.

If you've read last year's stories, I can give a few updates :) Andrew, previously known as #22 (this year he was #64, his age) finished again, in about 31 hours. Last year's female record breaker didn't run. Last year's winner, Dominic, came in 3rd. Jamil, of the potato burrito, didn't run. Several of the other stories from last year were there I am sure, but since I didn't record last names, I have no idea who they were this year!! Oh, LT who came through our station in last place last year, but passed someone before he finished, dropped out fairly early this year. He's the guy who's pacer was a ham. Turns out they both are and Dad has worked with them on other races and stuff. I was sorry not to see them. Maybe next year!! Also, this year's sweep says he's running next year so I got his name so we can keep track of him. He thought that sounded cool!

Overall, it was yet another fun and exhausting weekend. Getting to do radio stuff put the cherry on top of an already incredible experience. I am so glad that I have the opportunity to help in such a way and can't wait for next year. But before then, I'm hoping to find some opportunities here in TX to do similar stuff. I'll keep you posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment