Monday, June 24, 2024

Day Twelve Iowa

Iowa! 

I got up early to get to the big event (keep reading) and was rewarded with a fabulous sunrise. 

Today was to include lunch with a buddy (Ashley was a student when I worked at TWU - we bonded over baseball and country music) and Field of Dreams and trying to make everything fit into my suitcase. Exciting sure. But then last night while figuring out lunch plans, Ashley asked if I'd be interested in a little side trip to RIDE IN THE SPRAYER! UH, YES, PLEASE!!!! Her hubby is a farmer and would be in the corn fields on the sprayer. So we coordinated where I should head and then we'd meet up, basically on the side of the road wherever he happened to be. More dirt roads were involved but WHO CARES?! It was awesome!! I mean, I'm sure day after day, field after field, it'd get old, but for my 30 minutes, it was amazing!! My first question was what are we spraying - the answer was nitrogen. I know this works as a fertilizer of sorts from my TX neighbor and his gorgeous lawn. Side note: I had not stopped to use a restroom in a bit, and I mentioned this to Ashley. About 10 minutes in, she texted me and said I needed to ask him to stop so I could deal with it. So I did and he did. And I can now say I've personally watered some corn in Iowa!! (Probably TMI, sorry)

A real Iowa farm! 

The sprayer with the truck filling it with nitrogen





Ashley took these of us in action




Ashley left her two sons with Dad in the sprayer (their favorite thing ever) and she and her daughter and I went and had lunch in a cute little community that had a yummy German restaurant. I then made my way North to Dyersville and the Field of Dreams.



there was a HS game of some sort about to happen on the field

the kitchen

from the porch swing

on the porch swing

I am glad I went but it was definitely a tourist trap. Though it was cool that there was a game happening. I didn't see any ghosts. There are plans to turn it in to a whole little league complex basically which kinda stinks. Takes away the novelty and what I imagine is a very peaceful field when all the people are gone. 

I am now in my final hotel, with everything arranged into the various bags so that it will all get home. I will check the suitcase and I added a tote from the Badlands to the mix. I AM SOOOOO READY TO SEE MY PUPPY!!!!!!

The End.

(PS give me a day or two at home and I'll write a wrap up)


No comments:

Post a Comment