Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Rebecca's Epic Road Trip 2024 Wrap-Up

Some numbers:

4 planes (2 layovers), 2 trains, 1 boat, 1 rental car (plus some ubers), 2 buses, a subway, and a stagecoach (I seriously tried to figure out helicopter, bicycle and horseback but it just never worked out)

11 (recorded) hikes/walks on paths/trails

10 states, 12 if you count layovers but not origin (GA, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, SD, NE, IA, TX)

2975 miles driven (plus a train)

12 nights, 11 hotels (plus a redeye flight)

4 baseball games in 4 days at 4 stadiums


What a trip!!! It was everything I dreamed it would be and more!! God was definitely with me as I just missed several weather things plus all those dirt roads! And, I was a woman traveling alone. But I never felt in danger or anything like that. I just drove and saw stuff and did my thing! 

I wish I could say there was a highlight but the whole dang trip was a highlight! Seriously. I saw SO much!! Every single person I talked to from cashiers to fellow travelers were just super nice and helpful. I even just looked through my pics again to see if there was one that stuck out. Nope. Every single day, every single thing I did and saw, was cool! 

I realized just how much I don't know about history and the people who did stuff to make America awe-inspiring. I bought two books and have several others on the TBR list. One of the interesting aspects of my trip is that I went from Lewis and Clark history stuff to the Cold War and what seemed like everything in between! I took in SO much information and I remember very little except that I wanted to learn more about every single thing I did and saw! 

I live in paradise and I know that America is truly beautiful. But it was just incredible to see so much beauty and diversity in landscapes (from moment to moment!). The Badlands, the Black Hills, the fields of everywhere, Lake Michigan... it was all gorgeous. God created, human created, didn't matter. Even the old buildings in the big cities held their own beauty. 

As amazing as my trip was, I've never been so happy to get home! To see THIS GUY!! I got him some corn ;)



This is most of my haul. I hadn't finished unpacking and I found a few other magnets and stickers stuck places. There are also 2 new shirts in the closet :)

I've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to close this. To say goodbye to this trip. I can't. How does one "conclude" a trip that she has been dreaming of for years and planning for 6 months?! It was truly the trip of a lifetime and I am very thankful that I had the opportunity. I just keep remembering all those people out there who have never left their own state. I've now seen all 50! 

Someone asked me "What's next?" Well, since you asked! In March I turn 50 and will run a 50k to celebrate. Then in June I'll go on my first cruise with a bunch of friends (anyone is invited, holler for details). After that I want to see Canada. At least Calgary (Banff), Quebec and Toronto (baseball). Not all in the same trip!! 

So stay tuned. I'm not done yet :)


No comments:

Post a Comment