Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Surfing Conundrum

Why can't there just be one way to do something, with one low price?!?!

Here's my dilemma...

I currently have a smartphone with internet, and no home internet. In theory, I connect my phone to my computer in order to surf on the web at home. In reality, I do that sometimes, and sometimes I "borrow" internet from a neighbor. I don't even know which one. I feel guilty about it and worry about the lack of security. But free is nice.

It's now time to get a new phone. My current phone has several major issues like not wanting to charge with most chargers, and the power button not always working. Then there's the fact that it thinks it's out of memory when it's not and so it doesn't do things like notify me when I have e-mail.

My current cell phone plan includes unlimited data which means I can surf the web on the phone, or tethered to the computer, as much as I want, anytime I want. In order to keep this plan, I need to buy a new phone outright - the cheapest of which is about $350. I then keep paying my $66 per month with unlimited data.

OR I go back to a basic phone with no data and get internet at home. Cost? Well, basic phone (cheapest price is $50 after rebate) is about $40 per month. Home internet is about $40-45 (taxes?) per month. So, I'd be paying at least $80 per month and only have internet at home.

BUT what if, while I'm saving for a new phone, there comes a deal for home internet (not sure of the likelihood - current deals are all for bundles which I don't want) and I could have a phone, with data, AND home internet for near $80?? As it is, I would be looking at about $105 I think.

ARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!! Why can't I just have a phone, internet and pay like $5?!!?? Oh, yeah, I also now have a brand new computer (thanks dad!) that I'd really like to keep safe from internet hacks, and enjoy it's fastness with fast web surfing by having my own modem. I think the new phone would be an improvement in speed because it's 4G. Currently, my phone and the neighbor's internet is about the same speed.




No comments:

Post a Comment