Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The end of an era

I've been silent. Sorry. I still am not ready to write about George. But leave it to baseball to make me talk again.

Today marks the final day of the 2012 baseball season. The Houston Astros are, of course, not going to the playoffs. They did end up winning 53 games (maybe 54?). At the end, they actually looked pretty good. I almost believe in the "rebuilding" concept.

Alas, this end of season is different than any other. The Houston Astros are moving from the National League (NL) to the American League (AL) next season. I am quite bitter about this move as I don't like the AL. The big difference is that the AL has the Designated Hitter, or DH. The DH hits in place of the pitcher. As a friend's wife said many years ago "so he doesn't have to do the whole job?" or something like that. Yes, AL pitchers pitch every 5 days or so, and that's it. They don't attempt to hit the ball unless they're unlucky enough to pitch in a game versus an NL team. Something about not hurting their pitching arm... WHATEVER!!

Anyway, I will always be an Astros fan and will follow and watch when I can. Not sure how often I'll get to Houston (not that I've been in years anyway). BUT, I need an NL team to follow... I'm thinking Padres or Dodgers. The Astros kinda fell into my heart, so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Today, the end of the regular season, is always bittersweet. At least they won't lose for another few months! But, I miss baseball once it's all over. And now, I feel like it's all in flux. The Astros are changing their colors, logo, etc. The new owner even contemplated changing the name, but apparently enough fans complained over that idea to make it not happen.

Not sure where I'm going with this. Just felt the need to say something. Maybe the Astros will win it all so often in the AL that they'll move them back!! or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment