Sunday, April 10, 2011

Paris-Roubaix

One of the things I use Twitter for is to follow live tweets from bike races (think lance Armstrong). Since they're all in Europe basically, I often am reading after they're over. But thats ok. Still fun.

This morning I caught P-R (for short) while it was still happening. This is a huge one day event with lots of cobblestone roads which is its big challenge, as opposed to hills, etc. There are lots of crashes and can be a fun ride (unless you crash I guess!). Anyway, I also got to watch the last bit on voicestream video, in English!

You know its a good race when I'm yelling at the screen...

It's common for several guys to go out in what's called a breakaway and in some races that happens several times a day. But usually in the end those guys get caught and a "big name" takes the lead in the last few miles. And it always kinda irks me even when its a rider I like. Cuz those other poor saps worked really hard all day to stay out front and then the big name uses his team riders ti get him close and then he just uses full force the last little way. Or sometimes there are several who do that and it all comes down to a Sprint at the end. Remember we're talking 100+ miles. This is basically how it works. Often the guys out front all day are going for Sprint points or something and not the win but still.

Anyway, today the guy who was leading the break most of the day, WON!!! He worked his booty off and they did almost catch him. It was his first major win. Know what he did when he was done? Proposed to his girlfriend!!!

I might have a new fave rider to add to my list: VanSummeren.

No comments:

Post a Comment