Friday, October 31, 2014

40 4 40 #10 Pumpkin Painting

This a series of blogs chronicling my attempt at 40 new things before I turn 40 in March. You can find all the endeavors under the label 40 4 40.

It's Fall. Halloween season. I am not a big Halloween fan. I remember a few costumes I had growing up - Gumby in elementary school, Santa (in a santa tee and jeans) in high school. The only reason I really remember Halloween in high school is because the Rancho Cucamonga youth group always had a Halloween dance. That, and trick or treating in the Village in VERY cold weather. I also have excellent childhood memories of trick-or-treating at Liberace's house, and in his neighborhood.

I remember carving a pumpkin when I lived in Falls Church in 2000 or so. I'm sure we did it growing up. But none of them stick out. Maybe we didn't!!

This year, the faculty social committee sponsored a pumpkin carving/painting contest, and gave us the pumpkins to do it. I thought, heck, why not!?! I was going to carve an algebra equation in it or something but on Sunday when it came time to actually do something with the pumpkin, I wimped out.

Also, since I am almost positive I have never painted a pumpkin before, I decided to go for it. It is NOT an easy task!! Pumpkins are rough, and have curves and stuff. But I did it!! And I also don't believe I've ever entered a contest for a pumpkin. I am calling all this one new thing though. Here's my pumpkin...




I called it "Math in Bloom" :) I told my students I'd entered. When they asked which one was mine, my response was, "Oh, you'll know"!

I lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment