Saturday, January 10, 2015

40 4 40 #25 Dog Walking

This is the latest in a series of entries chronicling my journey of trying 40 new things before I turn 40. You can read all the entries under the label 40 4 40.

Slugger and I drove to Dallas today to pick up the Glamourshot pictures (they've been added to #20's entry). On the way there, I thought it'd be fun to try to find a park/path/trail to take a walk. It's way cold so we didn't need anything major. I contemplated whether or not this could be a new thing since it wasn't intentional and I as yet didn't know where we were actually going. Then I recalled that we had tried a new State Park in October and I questioned why I didn't call THAT a new thing. It was! So rather than go back and change 15 new thing #s, I decided to combine that and this! The point is trying new things, not counting and numbers, right?!

Back up to Cleburne State Park. Slugger and I didn't go backpacking over Columbus weekend because it was too cold. Instead, we drove to Cleburne, about 90 minutes from home. From the map, it seemed that there was a trail that was one big loop around the park, so off we went. The beginning was rocky and steep in parts. Did I mention it was cold? I shed some layers after the first mile, but it was still not my ideal hiking weather. We got a ways, followed the fence and the map and then things went downhill. Literally and figuratively. To make a long story short, the trail went everywhere and was not marked at all and we ended up on a dirt road. Luckily that road led to real road which wasn't too far from where we parked. It was a fairly sketchy mile or two though that I was not too sure where we were, or where we'd end up. We went about 4.5 miles. We always have fun when we hike, but we will not be going back to that particular State park!!

Today, we stopped at REI, because it was right on the way home from Glamourshots. They did not have what I was looking for (thick toe socks to wear in my hiking boots) but I asked a worker man if he knew of a path or trail nearby that'd be good to walk the dog. He gave not very good directions, but luckily I figured out what he meant! We found the Rose Garden in Farmer's Branch. There was a nice walking path and we set off. I am sure that in Spring and summer, this park is absolutely gorgeous with colorful flowers. We came upon a map and I saw that it was not a loop, but that's okay. We walked about a half mile along a river (the Farmer's branch of the trinity?!) and came to the Farmer's Branch Historical Park. They have actual and replica buildings of what the area was like at the turn of the 19th century (or so). We wandered around (no one else was there) and a guy who works there talked to us and walked with us for a while. I hope to go back sometime when I can take a tour of the inside of the buildings. The guy did let us in the replica gas station so we could see the super old truck inside. It was an unexpected little side trip on our walk. Fun stuff!! We walked back. Almost 1.5 miles. The farthest Slugger has been in months due to his knee. He seems to be fine now though so YAY!! Healed!!

Then we drove home. Our quick trip became an afternoon adventure! The best kind of road trip :)



Historical Church (Methodist!)

Original (though moved) Train Depot

There were ducks...

No comments:

Post a Comment