Friday, January 16, 2015

40 4 40 #27 Kimbell

This is the latest in a series of posts about my attempt to try 40 new things before I turn 40 in March. I started in July. You can read all the posts through the label 40 4 40.

I love art. Well, some of it. In high school French class, I came to adore French Impressionism. Sitting in front of Monet's Water Lilies in their full room wrapping glory was a moment that is hard to forget! I saw the Mona Lisa that same day (different museum) and was unimpressed. Apparently, I'm a picky art lover :)

There are several Fort Worth art museums and of course several way over there in Dallas. I've actually been in a little of one of those (I transported college students).  However, after living in Washington, DC, I have issues paying to go in a museum. Of course, some of the museums offer some parts free, while visiting exhibits and such cost money. Yeah, I'm cheap. It's all good.

One of the local Fort Worth museums that often has good visiting exhibits is the Kimbell Art Museum. I've been hearing about it since I got to Texas but just never went. I heard somewhere years ago that the Kimbell offered deals on certain nights and such. I decided I should see what it's all about.

Turns out their permanent exhibit is actually free!! But... when I went to their website to learn this, I also found out their current visiting exhibit is Impressionists!!! The Faces of Impressionism to be exact. So, I bit the bullet, went on half price night, and paid $9 to see the exhibit.



I wasn't impressed. As is my typical way of being, I didn't actually read about the exhibit, or even the fine print. I saw Impressionism and got excited. Yeah, I don't really care for portraits. The development of the art of portraiture over the years was kind of interesting. And one of the pieces was one of my favorite Monet's. Well, there are lots of renditions of basically the same piece. This one is a little pinker/lighter, as I see them. I think it's fascinating how Monet (and some of the others) chose to basically void out the actual face so it could be any woman. Yup, I do love Monet. No pictures in the exhibit, so here's one I found online.



I was in the exhibit about 10 minutes. I then spent 5 minutes chatting with a former student. You know you've been teaching a while when you see former students everywhere you go :) I decided that while I was there I should check out the permanent collection. I had perused the pictures posted on the Kimbell website and there seemed to be a LOT of sculpture. Not my thing.

I was pleasantly surprised in one of the galleries by a Monet. Again, he's my favorite :) It's called Weeping Willow and was painted after WWI (or during?) and is said to reflect his unhappiness with the state of the world. The actual tree sits on the edge of his water lilies. We could take non-flash pictures in this gallery :) Doesn't do it justice of course!



I rounded the corner and saw another piece that was dark and dreary but still drew me in. Sure enough, it's Monet! Not like most of his more famous works, it actually was one of his earliest. There was also another less colorful one of a train station that I couldn't take a picture of cuz it was on loan to the museum :(



And then I left. I was there for exactly an hour. Not bad!! This is why I go to museums alone :) On the way out, going from one building to the other, I snapped this sculpture. SO not my thing!




In the other direction is the Will Rogers Arena where the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo is opening this weekend (stay tuned for rodeo new thing!). There's a carnival and people and cows (I didn't actually see any cows tonight, but I know they're there!!). Looked like fun. I snapped a pic of this building though. I have been in this "cultural area" many times. I swear I've never noticed this building!!



As much as I don't like paying to go to a museum, I'd go back for other special exhibits if they were interesting to me. The parking was free, everyone was very nice and helpful, and the art was exhibited well. And, you know, if there's more Monet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment