Thursday, January 22, 2015

40 4 40 #29 Spiral Diner

This is the latest in a series of entries telling the story of my journey to turning 40 by trying 40 new things before I get there. You can read all the entries using the label 40 4 40.

When I made my dinner plans for this evening, I was not thinking of a new thing. I just wanted to have dinner with a friend! There's a restaurant in Fort Worth (there's also one in Dallas, but who cares about Dallas) called Spiral Diner. It is known for its vegan food. Years ago, when I was my vegan-ist, I looked at the menu and remember funky sounding stuff and PB&J. Three (or four?) years ago, a co-worker, Bill, even gave me a gift card to eat there. Except, they didn't have cards that day so he just gave me cash. I really did mean to go eat there, but it just never happened. So when I wanted to have dinner with Bill, I thought, hey let's go to Spiral Diner. Also, my birthday cake is being made by them so I thought maybe I should try their food :) As Bill and I often do, we included his daughter in our outing. MaryEllen is an elementary school librarian and tri-athlete.

It was today as I was getting excited to try the restaurant that I pondered calling it a new thing. I have had vegan food in a restaurant before. So I decided to wait and see what it was all about when I got there. EVERYTHING IS VEGAN!!! So, yup, my first time in an all vegan restaurant. But SO not my last :)

It is very rare that I can eat an item "as-is" off the menu. Between my attempt at being vegan-ish and my vinegar allergy, it's tough to eat anywhere! Which is why, often, vegan goes by the wayside. Sadly, Spiral Diner was no different. Except, that all I took off my order of Nachos Supremo was the onions and jalapeƱos!! I would guess that somewhere in something there was vinegar but since it would probably be apple cider or something even fancier, I wasn't overly worried (I'm an hour+ out and still doing okay!).

My nachos had a cashew-based "cheese", "sour cream", quinoa (what? who would've thought of putting a GRAIN on your nachos!?!?!), black olives, corn, guacamole, and maybe beans (I can't remember). SOOOOO AMAZINGLY GOOOD!!! Tasted JUST like regular nachos! But maybe even better!!! I am so putting quinoa on my nachos from now on.

Oh yeah, I took a picture.
I brought half home. Even if the chips are a soggy mess tomorrow night, I'm betting it'll still be YUMMY!!!

For dessert, I had a chocolate cupcake. I wouldn't have had dessert, but I thought I should probably try the cake to make sure my birthday cake will taste yummy. Yup, no worries!! Even if you don't like me, come for the cake!!! Bill and MaryEllen shared a slice of blueberry pie a la mode. It looked equally scrumptious. 

I should add that Bill is a carnivore who loves Spiral Diner and MaryEllen is a vegetarian who might as well be vegan and loves Spiral Diner. They both eat there often. Although everything is vegan, no one misses out on the flavors and yumminess that you'd get at any restaurant. 

We also had great conversation, as always, catching up on school stuff and travels and dogs. 

I can't wait to go back!!! (AND if I do everything I'm supposed to do, I officially will get to 40!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment