Wednesday, January 14, 2015

40 4 40 #26 Hockey on the Glass

This is the latest in a series of entries chronicling my attempt to try 40 new things before I turn 40 in March. You can read all the entries under the label 40 4 40.

Apparently I haven't been in the writing mood. Or something. This is the longest it has taken me to write up a new thing! All of four days!!! It has nothing to do with how much fun I had because it was great!!

As you know, if you know me, I'm a sports girl. Baseball is my favorite! But hockey is pretty cool too (hehe). It is truly better in person and I rarely watch on TV. I don't have a favorite team which doesn't really help. I have been to Capitals games in DC and Stars games in Dallas. Fun stuff, but expensive. I decided to try a minor league game, and throw in sitting in really good seats - on the glass/boards.

Now that I have done this combined new thing, I've decided that the actual new thing was sitting on the glass, cuz I WANNA DO THAT AGAIN!!

Last Saturday, Quinn, Leslie and I set out for a Lonestar Brahmas game. I bought the tickets ahead of time and knew that it was Sci-Fi night but that's about all I knew about the team/game/arena! I do know that the Brahmas have been through several incarnations of names and affiliations, but I couldn't tell you any of the affiliations. The names have been Texas, Fort Worth, and perhaps North Texas? but always Brahmas.

It was raining and cold, but luckily not freezing. Close though. We had a nice dinner at Jason's Deli and made our way to the arena. Quinn parked while Leslie went in to get the tickets at Will Call. Then THIS happened...


Hehe!! Sci-Fi Night!!! Oh yeah, Leslie is a teacher and her class is reading Flat Stanley, so Flat Stanley came to the game with us :) Quinn found us and we did THIS:


Unexpected FUN at the hockey game!! They all (Darth included) looked and sounded like the characters!! The look on my face above is cuz Leslie snapped as Chewy "talked"!! SO COOL!!

Anyway, back to the game! I got our seats as close to the Brahmas bench as I could. Thought that'd be a good idea. I don't think it mattered. We actually commented on the difficulty in seeing along the boards at the other end. Not sure how to fix that but still sit on the glass!!

Here we are:


Turns out the Brahmas target net was at the other end so we spent a lot of time staring down the glass. But that's good cuz it means they were shooting :) We scored first, early, and then again mid 2nd period. Then the other guys scored two in the 3rd period and we went to OT. I was hoping for a shoot out as I've never seen one. But alas, the other guys scored first in OT and it was over. The team was SO upset and sad. We definitely saw tears as they went to the locker room. We heard someone say they'd won 16 in a row or something. Understandably upset if that's true!!

Did I mention that this was a MINOR, minor league? Quinn looked it up and apparently they are all 16-20 years old. THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!! First, those boys looked YOUNG!!! Second, they fell a lot. Like A LOT. We commented on it. The ladies next to us commented on it. Yeah. I thought maybe it was just cuz we were so close and could see everything. Nope, they're just young and inexperienced.

BUT we had a GREAT time!! The game was good, even with the falling. I may never be able to see a hockey game from any other seats :) The company was excellent! We decided we would definitely go back and maybe make it an annual event. FUN FUN!!

Here are a few more pictures. And a video.

The bench. And our seat mates.

It's blurry cuz they were scoring as we were picturing!


1 comment: