Friday, February 6, 2015

40 4 40 #32 Rodeo

This is the latest in a series of posts chronicling my journey of trying 40 new things before I turn 40 in March. You can read all the related posts under the label 40 4 40.

I kinda feel like a lot of these new thing have really been about becoming more Texan, or getting acquainted with Texas stuff. Last night was no different! I went to the rodeo!!

Rodeo is kind of a hot button amongst hard core vegans and other animal advocates. I decided I needed to see it for myself. I mean, I'm SURE that they treat those animals like family, right!? I would!! Did you know that not everyone is like me!?!!? (Thank goodness, right?!)

Anyway, several months ago, I put out on Facebook that I'd like to see what a rodeo is all about. My good friend Sheila suggested THE rodeo at THE Fort Worth Stock Show which is a MAJOR annual event here in Cowtown. I've also never been to the stock show. So we made plans and after a few adjustments, last night was the night! When I called to buy the tickets, the lady was very nice and made sure we got excellent seats since it was my first rodeo (I really enjoyed saying that - hehe).

After driving around for 30 minutes trying to figure out where to park so as not to walk across all of Fort Worth to get our tickets at will call and get in to the rodeo, we eventually ended up finally in the arena. The stock show is HUGE!! The arena does not look like an arena until you get inside!!

Basically, a football field looking dirt floor with seats all around is the arena. There were chutes at both ends. It was all quite fascinating. Oh, and all the same food and merchandise type sales that you find at any sporting event. But once inside where the dirt floor is, it smells like barn :) That's the difference! One of the merchandise pieces for purchase was a furry pink cowgirl hat with a flashing tiara on the front. I was SOOO tempted!!!

So, all the events happened. And I kept cheering for the cow or horse or whoever was being thrown or bound or otherwise tortured. Yup, I did NOT enjoy watching those poor, sweet calves being roped and thrown and left to lie there until someone got around to loosening the rope.

I enjoyed my evening because I had good company and the whole thing was fascinating. I don't need to do it again. BUT I would like to go to the actual stock show and see the fluffy cows and all that - seriously I learned that they give them baths and dry them and stuff - intriguing!! I hope to be able to take a day off next year (to avoid weekend crowds) and maybe even get to see one of my students show a cow or goat or something.

Side note: I'm kinda sad that I'm almost "done". I keep telling myself that I don't have to stop trying new things - I just won't have to count them anymore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment