Friday, February 13, 2015

40 4 40 #34 Mammogram

This is the latest in a series of entries chronicling my journey to try 40 new things before I turn 40 in March. I'm almost done!! You can read all the entries under the label 40 4 40.

I am probably the only woman in the history of radiology who was THIS excited to get a mammogram!! But I've wanted one for a long time. Soon after I had my thyroid (and its cancer) removed at 27, a co-worker lost his 31 year old wife to breast cancer. My doctor told me I didn't need a mammogram yet. Whatever. I've asked several over the years and they all say the same thing - not until you're 40 unless you have a family history; self-exams are sufficient.

So a couple weeks ago, I went to see the lady doctor for my annual visit and as soon as she looked at my age and started to suggest a mammogram, I said "YES PLEASE NOW!!". She laughed once I told her I wanted it to be a new thing :)

Today I chatted with some coworkers after school and cheerfully exclaimed, "I have to go get my boobies squeezed now"!! They rolled their eyes at me and told me to have fun :)

I chose the Azle hospital radiology because I knew where it was and it was easy to get to and all that good stuff. The woman was very nice and informative and gentle. I didn't tell her about the new thing thing but I did tell her I'd been waiting a decade and was very excited. She seemed to like my attitude.

Here's a picture I snuck of the machine. Other than that, I'll leave out the details. It was NOT painful, just a little uncomfortable. Really it was more awkward because of the pose, not the actual squishing!!


I was tempted to ask her for a selfie with me but I thought that might be weird. :D So, ladies, GO GET YOUR MAMMOGRAM!!! If you're not yet 40, do your self-exams. IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment