Thursday, June 20, 2024

Day Eight South Dakota 1

Today was an adventure! Lots and lots of driving, but not an interstate to be found :) 

Okay the internet here sucks and I'm exhausted so I'll actually tell you all about it tomorrow. 

Up and running in Wall SD! Let me backtrack though...

Thursday morning I drove out of Regent ND toward Belle Fourche SD. It was a lot of 2 lane country highways and was beautiful. 

#48

Saw a few of these. It was all farms the whole drive.
Cows and crops of something or other. 

I, of course, had to stop for a picture of this. 

1919! I love old churches most of all!

Farms and rolling hills with some rockiness.

Belle Fourche is the center of the US. Well, sort of. The actual center is really on someone's farm or something. I passed a sign that said 8 miles that way. I didn't go there. Instead I went to the monument in Belle Fourche. 


there was a really cool museum with lots of old stuff.
this printing press deserved a picture.

I left the Center for Deadwood. Which was every bit the tourist trap that I expected. I was a tourist and even rode the stagecoach. I didn't stay long though which is good cuz more exciting stuff was to come!


So the main road out of Deadwood headed toward Hill City and Keystone (i.e. Mt Rushmore and such) was getting work done a chunk was closed. I thought I knew what I was doing when I picked the route on the GPS. I was not where I thought I was but I went with it anyway. I saw some beautiful scenery and ended up on a dirt road for about 10 miles. The Countryman handled it well. Luckily I had plenty of time.


I was heading for Hill City because I had a train to catch. Made it in just the right amount of time and was ready to not be driving any more! The 1880 Train goes from Hill City to Keystone and back again. I took it round trip. Saw all kinds of fun landscapes and several deer. Which I got pictures of - I saw several on the drive(s) of the day but never stopped for pictures. 













Oblivian (used to be a spot for changing tracks)

Abbie Mine


Left Hill City for Keystone (it was 9 miles on the train but about 20 by car). My hotel had "Rushmore View" in its name. Unfortunately it was cloudy so there was no view. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment