Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Day Seven ND3 (&MT)

 No rain! In fact it was absolutely gorgeous all day long. Yay! 

Headed West out of Bismarck, almost as far West as ND goes. To Medora and Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I recently read Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough to prepare myself for today. I'm glad I did and not just cuz all of his books are so good. I actually knew what I ws going to see. More or less. Not sure anyone is ever prepared for the change of landscape. I tried to imagine what peeps in Teddy's era would've thought. Coming off the prairie, over a hill, and seeing THAT! 

I'm not even in the park yet. 




This isn't zoomed! I'm in my car though.

Anyway, before I actually entered the park, I stopped at the Chateau de Mores. The Marquis and his wife lived in Medora (named after the wife) the same time that Teddy did. They built their house on a hill and the Marquis went after his dream of being big in the beef industry. They, like Teddy, went back to NY or elsewhere in the winter. 


The view from the front porch

The view from the front porch

outbuildings

horses! these are actually used in the stagecoach tours I was told

At the actual Park is Roosevelt's first cabin. The ranch is way up inside the park, and not actually there anymore (I think maybe a replica?). I didn't go that far. The cabin was very small! But it was just him at that point. 

I then drove into the park to see the landscapes and wild animals. I saw wild horses, bison, and a deer. Oh and prairie dogs. I actually hiked through a "prairie dog town". They were very vocal about me being there. I don't blame them. Except for the one guy who may have been deaf cuz I walked right up on him (see pics).






horses

on the trail

 i don't think he knew I was there! or maybe he just didn't care.

this looks steep. it wasn't that, but the mud was gross and slippery.
I turned around and did not cross. 
the stream is about a foot across.





I was so close, and had time, so I kept driving West and hit Montana! I have technically been to Montana. When I was 12 or so, we took a summer vacation to Yellowstone. At one point we saw a sign that said Montana 15. So Dad drove about 20 miles and we all said cool Montana and he turned around and went to wherever we were going. Now I have a picture of the sign :) Also, I see where it gets the name "big sky country".



I went into Wibaux (we-bo) which was the first town off I94. So cute. Tiny little downtown with a general store - of course I went in! I got a yummy fruity "zinger" drink and a locally baked scone. Both were very very good! 



Then I went back to ND heading toward the Enchanted Highway. This is a country road highway with several (seven) very large metal sculptures on the way to the Enchanted Castle where I had a room reserved. I only took pictures, from my car, of one of the sculptures. I didn't stop at any of them. I was tired of driving and I really needed a restroom.



Got checked in to the Enchanted Castle and had dinner at the their tavern. It's one of 2 places to eat in town. The other is also a bar and the one is steps away from my room. AND I met the guy/artist behind the sculptures and Castle!! I could google his name but I'm too tired. You can look it up. It's in Regent ND. 






I'm glad I got here nice and early and can go to bed early. Like now. Cuz I am pooped and tomorrow is a big day!! South Dakota!!


No comments:

Post a Comment