Sunday, June 16, 2024

Day Four Minnesota

 It's a good thing I'm writing these at the end of each day cuz I can barely remember this morning. I *think* things slow down a little now that all the baseball is over. We'll see! 

The day started with rain. For the first half at least of my 3 hours drive to Minneapolis. Other than that it was an easy drive. And beautiful. Everything is so green!! Farms and such. And lakes and rivers and things. All benefiting from the rain, I suppose. I hear one thunder clap over night, but nothing major like that on the drive - just rain. 


Pretty sure the St Croix river was the state separator.

I've technically been to Minnesota before and consider it already off the list, BUT it's nice to have a more in depth visit. The first time was "just" the airport BUT it's where I landed when I came back from France and it was VERY memorable!

I pulled into Mall of America just a few minutes after they opened (supposedly). They were already quite busy and I didn't have time to explore much. But y'all, there really is a whole amusement park inside! Rides and caricaturists and games, high prices, and all. (It just took me way too long to figure out how to spell caricaturist) And an aquarium! I bought a 70% off necklace to wear in my interview (see more later) and some souvenirs. And left.




I was told to have a Jucy Lucy at Matt's Bar. I had already determined this was just a cheeseburger. It was lunchtime and on my way. What I didn't bank on was just how busy the place would be. The line was out the door. I think it is pretty small, but I did NOT have time for that! So I took a picture and drove on toward Target Field. 


I had purchased parking at a garage in advance. I'm glad I did. At least I knew that there was a spot for me. Eventually. It was VERY slow going getting into the garage and then going up and up and up until there were available spots. Downtown stadiums are fun, but golly! I ended up actually very close to the elevator so that was nice. 

I made it inside for national anthem etc but I didn't actually see first pitch or anything. No big deal. But probably the latest I've ever arrived to a ballgame! I went straight to my seat (via getting a hot dog, soda, and peanuts) and made it for the start of the game. Yay!




Former Astro Carlos Correa

Former Astro Abraham Toro

It was hot but there was a breeze so I wasn't dying, but I wasn't comfortable either. I also didn't get a bottle of water and definitely wanted one. At some point, I realized that it sounded like there was a real organ playing. Not every song or anything but sometimes. I also needed to get my first-time certificate. So I left my seat to wander around. I had decided that I had to stay until the 7th inning stretch at least. But I was hotter by the moment and kinda worried about getting out of the garage. Small town girl in me was coming out! Oh and the Twins scored 3 in the 1st inning and then Correa hit his 2nd HR of the day and I was pretty sure the A's didn't have a lot of hope (being the A's and all). 

Found the organist!!



(Maybe this video will work - it's short.




Aside from getting lost and driving in circles, I got out of the garage unscathed and drove over to the Stone Arch Bridge. Except it's under construction so it was not at all exciting. 


SO I left Minneapolis and headed to my hotel in St Cloud. All afternoon I had the added stress of knowing that tonight was going to be my only real chance to do the one-way video interview for a job. I've done one before for the same school so at least I knew what to expect. I just needed to look halfway decent and have adequate lighting etc. It is SO humid that the hair was useless but whatever. I worked it in to one question that I was on vacation :)  Maybe I'll get points for effort. I tried. At least it's done.

And... TOMORROW... NORTH DAKOTA!!!! Early morning so I don't have to hurry at the buffalo museum in order to get to my boat on time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment